Spring is here and all around us; the earth feels fresh and anew again. We’ve been revelling in a stretch of sunny days, which makes me hopeful the dreary chilly weather is finally behind us. I shared this spring produce guide a few days ago on the Facebook Page excited for all the colourful produce that’ll be appearing at the market in the next little while. My favourite produce market, a farm out in Richmond, opens for the season next week. I’m looking forward to fresh peas and fava beans, mangoes from warmer climates, crisp spicy radishes and bright tart rhubarb stalks.
In the meantime, we’re cooking with produce that is readily available during this transitional period. We’re making simple, easy-to-prepare comfort meals like this rice and veggie bowl. A deeply satisfying real workhorse of a meal, it’s a wonderful combination of well-spiced crisp vegetables and flavourful rice.
This is a fast wholesome meal to prepare for a busy week; I usually make a big batch for dinner and save leftovers for lunch.
Easy one-pot rice dishes like this are my thing; actually, rice is my thing. I could make this everyday for a very long period and not get tired of it. It’s so easy to just toss some cooked rice with a few chopped-up vegetables and spices to create a hearty and delicious meal.
I know by April’s end I’ll probably be singing a different tune, full of excitement for the colourful bounty of the season, but right now, this humble rice and veggie bowl fits the bill quite well.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 head of cauliflower, cut into bite-size florets
- 1 bunch of broccoli, cut into bite-size florets with short stems
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups leftover cooked rice (or other cooked grain)
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat coconut oil over medium-high heat in a large pan or skillet
- When oil is hot, stir in cumin, turmeric, chili powder, tomato paste and salt
- Cook for about a minute, stirring often until spices becomes fragrant
- Add onion and garlic and sauté for 2 – 3 minutes until onions are softened
- Add cauliflower, broccoli and bell pepper, cover and cook for 3 – 4 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Add cooked rice, stir to combine with vegetables and cook for another 2 – 3 minutes, stirring occasionally until rice is warmed through
- Check seasoning, adjust to taste, lower heat and cook on low for another 2 – 3 minutes for the flavours to meld
- Serve with lots of freshly ground black pepper
[Tweet “Delicious #vegan and #glutenfree rice and veggie bowl… what we’re eating while waiting for spring’s vibrant produce!”]
what a wholesome dish! this would be a fine thing to eat on just about any occasion. 🙂30 March, 2016 at 10:28 am
rice & veggie bowls have been my thing lately- I eat them pretty much every day! can’t wait to try out your version xx31 March, 2016 at 9:28 am
I love the colors of these bowls. They are so happy!31 March, 2016 at 9:29 am
It makes me want to put aside my rather boring porridge oats and eat colour.1 April, 2016 at 12:00 am
Yum! that looks delicious. 🙂6 April, 2016 at 10:52 am
Wow!!! Healthy, vegan & GF dish that’s so pretty. I’m glad you created something this healthy that I do want to eat. I love it, Elsa.6 April, 2016 at 11:58 am
Yay Pang! Thank you! 🙂7 April, 2016 at 10:05 am