The title of this post should actually be baked peanut butter oatmeal with apple, hazelnuts and (really good!) dark chocolate. Obviously, that is too long a title.
I really got into baked oatmeal a coupe of years ago, and couldn’t stop extolling its awesomeness to anyone who would listen. I don’t know what happened, but my fixation tapered off and I moved on to explore other breakfast options.
I’ve been thinking about warm cozy porridge lately as temperatures fall. We got together last weekend to put up Christmas decorations and I remembered yet again how much we loved baked oatmeal, and how perfect and appropriate it would be for the job of brightening up the season.
Slices of apple, chopped hazelnuts and dark chocolate are baked into old-fashioned oats with a spot of peanut butter swirled in. There are some warming spices in there too, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla – the place smells wonderful when the oats are baking.
It looks like I’ve slipped back into the baked oatmeal routine because we had it again this weekend. It seemed fitting for the kind of dark, soggy and cold Saturday we had. As the storm raged on, we warmed up with delicious bowls of oatmeal, turned on the Christmas lights and carols, and escaped to our own wonderland.
That simple act of having a proper breakfast felt nice and cozy, luxurious even, making me wish for more moments like that.
- 1 cup (old-fashioned) rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon turbinado (raw) sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 – 11/4 cups almond milk, plus more for serving
- 1/4 - 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon non-hydrogenated plant-based butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate, chopped (or dark chocolate chips)
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts, chopped
- 1 large apple, cored and sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine oats, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a casserole dish or a deep baking pan OR combine ingredients (following the steps below) in a mixing bowl, then portion them in serving size into a cocottes or ramekins
- Whisk milk, peanut butter, melted butter and vanilla in a small bowl
- Pour milk mixture over the oats mixture and mix to combine
- Add chocolate and hazelnuts, mix gently and decorate the top with apple slices
- Bake for 25 – 35 until the top is nicely golden and the oatmeal has set
- Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes, serve warm with milk