Things have been a little crazy around here, as these short weeks leading up to Christmas usually is.
Dinners are rushed affairs these days, I’m not exactly certain what I’ve been running around doing but I can’t seem to bring myself to make proper meals anymore.
This is not to say that this quick and easy fried rice isn’t a proper meal, it’s as proper as they come, except it’s also very convenient and fast to throw together.
If you love rice dishes like I do, you’ll love this! All you need is some leftover rice, oil, a few vegetables and spices.
It’s a little unconventional, this fried rice. It’s eggless of course, and there’s no soy sauce either but you can obviously use any seasoning you want, same goes for the vegetables too.
I use coconut oil, sun-dried tomatoes and cashews to boost the umami flavours and toss in some raisins to add some sweetness.
- 2 cups leftover cooked rice (or other cooked grain)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- Sea salt to taste
- 1/3 cup green raisins
- Handful of toasted cashews
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a large skillet or shallow saucepan, heat coconut oil over medium heat
- When oil is hot, add onions and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally for 3 - 4 minutes until onions are softened and start to brown
- Add cumin, coriander, turmeric, ginger and pepper flakes stir, and cook for about 2 – 3 minutes until spices become fragrant
- Add sun-dried tomatoes and toss in cooked rice, stir-fry for about 3 – 5 minutes until rice is completely warmed through
- Check seasoning and add salt to taste
- Stir in raisins, lower heat and let rice cook another 2 minutes
- Serve with tossed with a handful for toasted cashews and lots of freshly ground black pepper