Lately, I’ve been listening to episodes of Radio Cherry Bombe on my daily commute to and from work; this is where I landed after Serial ended – I dived into this inspiring podcast featuring interviews with women in the world of food, it’s from the folks behind the new and exciting Cherry Bombe Magazine.
On a recent episode, Ina Garten discusses Paris, dinner parties, entrepreneurship and her love of simple home-cooked meals; she’s witty, personable and informative.
On the subject of mentors, she said this about one of the people who inspire her;
He takes really good ingredients and cook them just enough to make them taste better.
That quote stuck with me, because ultimately this is the kind of cook I want to become.
There’s nothing more gratifying than sitting down to a simple delicious home-cooked meal; made with the best and freshest produce; and prepared just so its flavours are heightened.
I think this roasted baby potatoes and radishes is in the same vein – it’s my humble attempt.
Simple fresh vegetables seasoned and roasted to perfect tenderness. You can’t really go wrong with roasted potatoes, fluffy on the inside and nicely crisped on the outside; they’re simply delicious.
Roasting mellows out the radish’s bitter peppery flavour making them tender and somewhat sweeter, just be careful not to over roast.
These potatoes, radishes and onions are delightful together when roasted; we toss them with a bit of olive oil, mustard and some complementary herbs.
Simple and flavour-packed – they make a wonderful side dish, and go with just about any meal.
It’s a quick and satisfying dinner on busy weeknights with a dollop of pesto, all I need is a warm comfy sofa and perhaps an interesting magazine.
- 1 pound baby potatoes, scrubbed
- 1/4 pound radishes (about the same size potatoes), scrubbed and trimmed
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon herbes de Provence
- 1 teaspoon rosemary, plus more for garnish
- pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt,
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F., and and lightly grease a foil lined baking sheet
- Pierce potatoes with a toothpick or pin, combine potatoes with radishes and onions in a large bowl
- In a small bowl, whisk olive oil, mustard, garlic, herbes de Provence, rosemary, cayenne pepper (if using) and salt
- Pour olive oil mixture over potatoes, toss to coat, check seasoning and adjust per preference
- Transfer potatoes onto the baking sheet in a single layer
- Roast for 30 – 35 minutes until tender and golden, and a toothpick slips in easily, turn them halfway through
- Serve potatoes hot or warm, with freshly ground pepper and garnished with rosemary
- Choose potatoes that are about 1 3/4-inch in diameter
- Use a mix of white, red and purple potatoes for an interesting look