Waking up to the soothing pitter-patter of rain is the perfect way to start Sundays in winter.
It sets the mood for lounging in your pyjamas all day; it’s soothing, idyllic and rejuvenating.
This type of day calls for a special breakfast. Yes, special… but easy and unfussy.
So that the rest of the morning can be spent lingering and savouring the nothingness.
I saved this yoghurt banana bread recipe for one of these special Sundays; I love the simplicity and the little extra that comes with the addition of yoghurt in the bread.
Special doesn’t have to mean complicated…
With a hot cup of tea, this banana bread is comfort food on a grey drizzly January morning.
I’ve made a lot of banana bread in my lifetime, with nuts, with matcha, with cherries, some fluffy and some spiced.
This one is undoubtedly simpler than most but it’s probably my favourite; it’s moist, tastes like bananas and butter, and smells delicious too.
Butter and yoghurt rounds out the sweetness in this banana bread perfectly, making a truly delicious slice with your favourite cup of tea.
It enhances the luxury of lazy days; good music too and maybe we’ll bake a second loaf for the rest of the week, this one to savour on busy weekday mornings.
[Tweet ” A classic buttery and moist #bananabread perfect with your favourite cup of tea. #vegan “]
- 1 tablespoon ground flax + 3 tablespoons water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup or 4 oz. butter, softened
- 3/4 cup turbinado or regular sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup plant-milk yoghurt (I used coconut milk yoghurt)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees f., and butter a loaf pan
- Mix ground flax seed and water in a small cup or bowl, set aside and let mixture thicken, for at least 5 minutes
- In a large bowl, sift flours and add baking powder, baking soda and salt
- Cream butter in a mixing bowl until pale, add sugar and cream again until mixture is light and fluffy
- Add flax mixture and vanilla and beat well to combine
- Add banana and yoghurt and mix well
- Pour the mixture into the dry ingredients (flour mixture) and mix to incorporate
- Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan, and bake until top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 45 to 50 minutes.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack for 5 - 10 minutes, remove from pan and allow cake to cool completely before serving
- Tip: For butter, I use 'Earth Balance Soy-Free Spread'