The Farmersâ€™ Market in my neighbourhood is seasonal; for a short time during summer, the street by the local park is closed to traffic and transformed into a bustling market with stalls full of fresh organic fruits and vegetables, baked and artisan goods, local cheese, meat, eggs and wild-caught fish.
I donâ€™t know if itâ€™s the market or the sun, but the neighbourhood comes alive on Saturday mornings, and it almost feels like youâ€™re in some quaint town square, itâ€™s charming.
We got strawberries this weekend, juicy sun-sweetened local strawberries that taste like summer!
We just kept eating themâ€¦ and when weâ€™d had enough, we made strawberry crisp with what’s leftover.
This is what we do, itâ€™s tradition â€“ weâ€™ll keep making crisps, crumbles and pies all summer long with the abundant fruits from the farmersâ€™ market.
Sliced strawberries are topped with oats, nuts and sugar and baked until golden and crisp; itâ€™s simple, quick, smells heavenly and it’s ah-mazing with ice cream.
I have it for dessert every night the rest of the week, and dream of the next farmersâ€™ market when I can get strawberries again andâ€¦ repeat.
- 1 pint strawberries (about 2 cup), hulled and sliced
- 2 tablespoon turbinado sugar
- 1 heaping tablespoon cornstarch (I used Birdâ€™s custard powder)
- A splash of lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup almond flour (or whole wheat flour)
- 2 tablespoon crushed pistachios (optional)
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil, chilled
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F., and lightly oil a baking dish (or a pie or Pyrex casserole dish)
- Combine strawberries, sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, vanilla and salt in the baking dish and mix well
- Mix oats, almond flour, pistachios, sugar, salt, nutmeg, cardamom in a small bowl
- Add in coconut oil and mix until mixture is crumbly
- Sprinkle oat mixture over strawberries and bake for 25 â€“ 30 minutes, until topping is golden brown
- Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream