Something wonderful happens whenever I toast coconut flakes; first off, it smells wonderfully toasty, like a tropical vacation. Toasting intensifies the flavour, caramelizes and brings out the sugars.
Coconut flakes adds pizazz to everything it touches; I use it as ice cream topping, cake garnish, in granola, rice… it’s quite addictive on it’s own too, and in these toasted coconut muffins… they’re magical!
These muffins are full of coconut-ty goodness, it has coconut oil, coconut milk and of course, the amazing toasted coconut flakes.
It’s a coconut lover’s dream, and if you’re on the fence, you’ll probably love it too since the flavour isn’t overpowering.
It’s got that sweet essence of coconuts that goes well with a nice cup of tea or coffee, and make mornings so much better!
Toasted Coconut Muffins
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen
- 1/2 cup virgin coconut oil
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon ground flax + 3 tablespoons water (mix and set aside for about 5mins)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1/3 cup turbinado sugar
- 1 cup toasted shredded coconut, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and line muffin tin with about 10 – 12 paper cups
- Melt coconut oil in a small saucepan or microwave, don’t overheat
- Combine coconut oil, coconut milk, flax and vanilla extract in a medium bowl and whisk to mix
- In another bowl, add flours, baking powder, salt, sugar and 3/4 cup toasted coconut together and mix well
- Mix the flour mixture into wet mixture and stir until just combined
- Scoop the batter into prepared muffin cups (about 3/4 full each)
- Sprinkle the remaining (1/4 cup) toasted coconut on top of the muffin batter in baking cups
- Place in oven and bake for 20 – 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean
- Transfer muffins onto a wire rack and let cool