We’ve had a couple of blah days, and I’ve been feeling a bit blah… misery loving company and such.
I haven’t been cooking that much either, I’m a bit unmotivated – I’ve taken to letting the contents of my fridge guide me.
That’s how this dinner came about, leftover quinoa and lentils turned into a warm modest salad, citrusy and tangy.
It’s light, will work perfectly as a side – and doesn’t require too many ingredients.
I add a side of greens and toss in some nuts and olives to make a main dish out of it.
I love the lemony dressing with a dash of ginger; it’s refreshing.
This salad helps to chase away those blah feelings… for a while.
Quinoa & Beluga Lentil Salad
- Â½ cup beluga lentils
- Â½ cup quinoa
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- Â½ a clove of garlic (or Â½ teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Salt to taste
- Â½ of a small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon sundried tomatoes, finely chopped
- Side of greens
- A handful of toasted nuts
- A few olives
- Zest & juice from one meyer lemon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons orange muscat champagne vinegar
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- Pinch of ginger powder
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Combine quinoa and lentils in a saucepan, rinse thoroughly and add 1 – 1 Â½ cups of water
- Add pepper flakes, ginger, garlic, coconut oil and salt
- Bring to boil over medium heat, then lower heat and let it simmer until tender & cooked
- *Rice Cooker Option: Rinse quinoa and lentils; add to rice cooker with water and the rest of the ingredients
Stir and set to cook per your machine instructions.
- In a large salad or mixing bowl, whisk lemon zest, juice, olive oil and vinegar together
- Add rosemary, ginger and salt and pepper – taste as you go to ensure you have the perfect balance. (Reserve some, if you plan on having a side of greens with your salad)
- Fluff quinoa and lentils and toss with dressing
- Add onions and sundried tomatoes and mix until well combined
- Let cool, taste and season with more salt & pepper if needed
- Serve with nuts & a side of greens