We spent a quiet Motherâ€™s Day at home, a typical Sunday, really.
We made breakfast; baked multigrain cereal with chocolate chips, and stayed in bed all day reading.
Breakfast tasted like dessert…
My mom made us promise we wouldnâ€™t make a fuss this Motherâ€™s Day.
Last year we made her brunch, days before this Mother’s Day she’d been humming â€˜It Is Well With My Soulâ€™.
Contentmentâ€¦ a trait I wish I could learn from my mom.
The simple joy of sharing breakfast and nourishment with loved ones.
This is my new favourite way to make hot cereal; toasted and then baked in individual-sized cups.
A combination of oats, rye, barley and wheat toasted for a few minutes before baking in almond milk, applesauce, and coconut oil with a handful of chocolate chips thrown in for good measure.
Toasted & baked Multi Grain Cereal
(Adapted from Chocolate-Covered Katie)
- Â½ cup multi grain cereal (or oats)
- 2 tablespoon turbinado sugar (or as desired)
- Â¼ cup unsweetened applesauce (or Â½ a banana)
- Â¼ cup almond milk (or milk or other nut milk)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (or butter)
- Â¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- salt to taste
- Â¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- Handful of chocolate chips (dark, milk, white etc)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Layer multigrain cereal on a baking sheet
- Bake for up to 20 mins until toasted and fragrant
- Remove from oven, set aside, and turn oven up to 350 degrees F.
- Combine cereal, sugar, applesauce and milk in a small ramekin or ovenproof mug
- Add coconut oil, vanilla extract, salt cinnamon and mix well
- Toss in a handful of chocolate chips, mix again and top with more chocolate chips
- Bake for 20 â€“ 30 minutes until firm