I’ll be the first to admit it; basil and Smarties… it’s a peculiar pair.
I didn’t start out wanting to make basil and smarties cookies, I had leftover basil, not enough to make pesto and I didn’t want it to go to waste.
Lemon-lime basil cookies, that’s what I wanted – every refreshing lemony bite tastes like summer, and yet I was out of lemons and limes.
For some reason, maybe because it was the only candy I had lying around, I wondered what I’d get by infusing basil’s sweet subtle minty flavour into a Smarties cookie.
What I got were these Smarties & Basil cookies; rustic, crispy and slightly spicy from the basil and molasses
Smarties & Basil Cookies
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup turbinado sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup smarties
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon dark molasses
- 2 tablespoons basil, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and Smarties.
- In another bowl, combine the vegetable oil, milk, vanilla, molasses and basil.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry and mix well with a wooden spoon or your hands to get the mixture well incorporated.
- Roll dough into compact balls, place on a parchment paper-lined pan, and squish them down to form saucers.
- Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes. Let cookies cool for 5 minutes on the pan before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.