Some day when I can come up with the right words, I’ll explain just how much I love snowshoeing.
I woke up this morning to gloomy rain, wanting to leave it behind, I decided to go snowshoeing; the first time this season.
It was snowing and windy with low visibility; the snow, like tiny needles hurt my face, and I could barely see through my wet fogged up glasses. Hiking up the mountain felt a little like I was on an expedition, but I got a good workout.
It was a few hours still to dinner by the time I got home, and I had missed lunch, snacking instead on salted cashew nuts and Orangina.
I wanted an indulgent treat to tide me over till dinner, so I made sweet creamed corn.
I ate creamed corn for the first time this summer, I saw a recipe that intrigued me, tried it and was amazed at how good it was.
This is one of those classic side dishes people donâ€™t bother making anymore, they just buy canned.
Like I said, itâ€™s a little indulgent, it has butter and flour and sugar and cream (coconut milk) in it, but it also has corn in it â€“ so take it for what is itâ€¦
Itâ€™s really delicious, colourful and pretty to look at, and best of all; itâ€™s easy to make; itâ€™s a must-make for anyone who loves sweet corn.
Sweet Creamed Corn (adapted from Taste and Tell)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter (I used Earth Balance Soy-Free Spread)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups cream (I used light coconut milk)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- A dash of nutmeg
- 3 cups fresh or frozen corn
- Melt the butter in a saucepan
- Whisk in the flour and salt and cook for a couple minutes
- Slowly whisk in the coconut milk and nutmeg and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened
- Add in the sugar and the corn and cook until heated through.