I was on a little road trip over the weekend, my roadtripping partner @adjoa and I headed down south for a quick jaunt.
And although we drove only two and half hours south, there was enough visiting, sightseeing, shopping and eating to last a whole weekend.
I love road trips, even though I don’t take them enough; I have a list of ‘road trip essentials’ that I like to bring with me.
Music, of course, is essential; especially at this time of year when it’s mostly dark and gray all the time.
Healthy snacks are another essential road trip item, I dread having to buy snacks at the gas station.
My favourite road trip munching snack is granola, a satisfying travel snack; it’s sweet, salty and crunchy.
Mango Cranberry Cashew Granola
- 2 cups (old fashioned rolled) oats
- Â½ cup shredded coconut
- Â½ cup slivered almonds
- Â½ cup cashews
- Â½ cup pistachios
- 1 cup dried mango pieces
- Â½ cup raisins
- Â½ cup cranberries
- Â½ cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon applesauce
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground ginger (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
- Whisk maple syrup with oil, applesauce, vanilla and ginger in a saucepan
- Heat on low for a 2 minutes stirring occasionally
- In a large bowl, combine oats with shredded coconut, almonds, cashews, pistachios and salt, and mix well
- Pour the maple syrup and oil mixture over oats and stir until well mixed.
- Spread the mixture out evenly on a large (rimmed) baking sheet
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes stirring every ten minutes until oats are golden
- Remove granola from the oven, and stir in dried mango, raisins and cranberries.
- Cool completely and store in airtight container, it’ll keep for up to a month.