Spicy oven roasted plantains with beetroot pesto
I received a comment a week ago about my post on oven roasted plantains.
E. wants step by step instructions for roasting plantains in the oven.
Iâ€™m jealous, I havenâ€™t had plantains in months â€“ with cooling temperatures in these parts, itâ€™s hard to find ripe plantains and it takes forever for green plantains to ripen.
Plantains are wonderful any way, but roasting them instead of deep-frying uses way less oil, and itâ€™s just as delicious.
Oven Roasted Plantains with Spinach & Parsley Pesto
Oven Roasted Plantains
- 3 â€“ 4 very ripe (yellow) plantains
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- Crushed ginger (optional)
- Preheat to oven 375Â°F.
- Coat a parchment (or foil) lined baking sheet/pan with a bit of olive oil.
- Rinse and peel plantains and slice diagonally into Â½ slices
- Coat plantains with the rest of olive oil; add salt (pepper and ginger if you want to make them spicy).
- Arrange the plantains on the baking sheet in a single layer
- Roast for up to 30 mins or until golden brown, turning them occasionally every ten minutes, so that theyâ€™ll brown evenly on both sides.