There are two things I wish I had more time for; sleep and breakfast.
It sounds so simple right?
I don’t always get enough sleep or have time for a proper breakfast, and that’s a bad thing.
They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day; sometimes I try to convince myself that breakfast is overrated and just get on with my day.
On most weekday mornings there’s usually not enough time to eat.
Or perhaps I just can’t make time – blame it on inadequate sleep – lack of sleep = poor decisions.
But weekends are a little different; I eat breakfast on weekends, and I sleep in.
I love porridge in the mornings; it’s hot, delicious and filling – the ideal way to start the day.
I picked up a bag of cracked wheat from a store at Punjabi Market the other day; I wanted to make a ‘cream of wheat-like’ cereal.
Cracked wheat is crushed or cut raw wheat kernels; it has good-for-you fibre and nutrients.
To make this cereal, I run the cracked wheat through the food processor to get it even smaller, and simmer it in coconut milk for a few minutes.
Sweetened with maple syrup or a dollop of preserve on top, I usually add in some peanuts for a protein boost.
What I get is a rich creamy indulgent breakfast that almost makes up for all those mornings I missed breakfast.
Cracked Wheat Cereal
- Â¾ cups of cracked wheat, pulsed in food processor for a few seconds
- 1 Â½ cups of light coconut milk
- Â½ teaspoon of cinnamon
- Maple syrup (to taste)
- Salt (to taste)
- In a small saucepan, bring coconut milk and salt to a boil.
- Quickly stir in the cracked wheat, continue to stir to prevent lumps.
- Reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook about 15 minutes stirring occasionally
- Turn off heat and ladle cereal into bowls
- Add a splash of milk, sweeten and garnish with your favourite toppings.