Iâ€™ve had ice cream on my mind these past few days, I know itâ€™s a strange time to want ice cream; itâ€™s rainy and cold.
I made coconut milk ice cream all summer long, I’ve decided ice cream is good all year round so Iâ€™m going to keep at it.
I’ve been making this coconut milk ice cream for several years now, it’s why I started buying canned coconut milk, and now I’ve found so many other uses for it – from baking to whipped cream. I have a few too many cans of coconut milk in my pantry, and this weekend we’re making ice cream!
This recipe has evolved, and I suspect it will continue to; lately I’ve been adding a arrowroot powder to the mix and I do get great creamy results.
Coconut Milk Ice Cream
- 2 (400 ml) cans of full fat coconut milk
- Â½ cup sugar (or other sweetener)
- Â½ over-ripe banana (optional)
- Â½ teaspoon salt
- 1Â½ tablespoon arrowroot powder (2 tablespoons if omitting banana)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- Toasted coconut flakes/sprinkles/nuts (for topping)
- In a small bowl, mix arrowroot with a small amount of coconut milk (slurry), and set aside
- Blend the rest of the coconut milk with sugar and banana in a blender or food processor
- Pour the blended mixer into a saucepan and bring to a boil
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the arrowroot slurry, mix well
- Let the mixture cool completely (in the fridge if necessary, I leave mine in overnight)
- Transfer mixture into ice cream maker and process according to manufacturerâ€™s instructions
- Pack the ice cream into an airtight container and cover and freeze until firm
I quite like it; a comforting bowl of ice cream on a cold rainy day.
It’s no bowl of soup but this works too!
I try to keep a variety of toppings on hand; toasted coconuts flakes, nuts, sprinkles and saucesâ€¦ mango, chocolate, strawberryâ€¦
I’m sorry if I’ve contacted you before but I’d like to introduce to you a new website http://www.foodepix.com that we have
just recently launched. Foodepix is a photo gallery of delicious and mouth
We’ve seen your blog and we love your pictures and recipes. We would love
to invite you to register with foodepix.com and upload your images.
Hope to see you there. 🙂
Thanks.24 November, 2011 at 4:48 pm
Cheers, I’ll be sure to check you guys out 🙂24 November, 2011 at 5:04 pm
Elsa, I have never had coconut milk ice cream. Neither do i have an ice cream maker. This is a rare ice cream flavor. But I love coconut milk and i love ice cream! so i know I would just have to wait to try yours :p30 November, 2011 at 6:45 pm
Hi Elsa,3 May, 2013 at 2:49 pm
I just bought an ice cream maker and I love the look of your recipe! I am curious, though, about the arrowroot. Can you help me to understand its addition to the recipe? Thanks so much!
Hi Judith, the arrowroot powder helps thicken the ice cream but you don’t need it. I’ve made this ice cream other times without arrowroot and it turned out fine.6 May, 2013 at 12:49 pm
Congrats on the ice cream maker,:-) enjoy!