I only recently started eating beets. I donâ€™t think I ever had beets as a child; I do recall a can of soggy beets once, and with that I wouldnâ€™t give beets another thought for several years.
I had dinner at my friend Jâ€™s a while back, and we had roasted beet salad for starters â€“ it was simply delicious, refreshing and colourful, I decided maybe beets werenâ€™t that bad after all.
Iâ€™ve tried beets in juices, roasted veggies and ice cream
When I saw this recipe for beets pesto I knew I absolutely had to try it.
I love anything pesto! And beets pesto? Sounds awesome!
I modified the recipe a bit; I tossed in some basil and sun-dried tomatoes, switched out the almonds for pistachios, and omitted the cheese.
I love this pesto! Itâ€™s vibrant, tasty and makes pink pasta!
Plus it’s so easy to make, no complicated steps, and doesn’t require a lot of ingredients.
- 1 pound beets, cooked and peeled
- 1 cup basil
- Â½ cup pistachios
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, crushed
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Â¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Roughly chop the beets and run them in a food processor or blender with the basil, pistachios, garlic, salt and pepper.
- With the blender running, gradually add the olive oil.
- Combine until smooth and pour a thin layer of olive oil over the surface.
- Use as you would regular pesto; refrigerate or store in the freezer to keep longer.