A couple of months ago I got a jar of morello cherries (in light syrup) from Trader Joe’s.
It was a bit of an impulse buy, but I’d always wanted to try them.
The lone jar sat in the cupboard for a few months, them one day I just started eating them straight out of the jar.
These cherries are wonderful; I wish I could find them fresh when in season.
I love to pile them atop pancakes too.
I thought about tossing some into a batch of banana bread I was making a while back.
I thought about it for a second and just dumped them in!
It turned out beautifully tart – perfect breakfast fare.
It was delicious the next day with a bit of almond butter sauce
And the syrup from the cherries is spectacular in smoothies
Cherry Banana Bread
- 3 very ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus a little more for oiling the loaf pan
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup morello cherries (drained if using canned/bottled)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. and lightly oil a loaf pan.
- Mash the bananas and mix with the honey, canola oil and vanilla extract.
- Stir together the whole-wheat pastry flour, baking soda and salt.
- Blend the wet and dry ingredients, and fold the cherries into the mixture.
- Pour mixture into the oiled loaf pan and bake for 40 minutes, or until center is set.
I love the addition of cherries here! It looks fantastic!22 October, 2011 at 12:57 am