Quinoa is having it’s moment right now; itâ€™s being hailed as a super food and the health nuts canâ€™t stop raving about it.
Itâ€™s high in protein, contains eight essential amino acids (making it a complete protein), itâ€™s high in fibre, rich in iron and gluten-free. Itâ€™s probably not kosher, but theyâ€™re working on that.
Technically, itâ€™s not even a grain; this nutritionally packed wonder-seed is from the spinach and beet family.
I finally tried quinoa last year; I was walking through my supermarket bulk-bin aisle and thought â€œwhy not?â€
It took me a month or so to actually cook it, andâ€¦ I didnâ€™t hate it!
In fact, I sorta liked it â€“ itâ€™s fluffy with a slight nutty flavour, it cooks just like rice and makes a great alternative.
Itâ€™s just as versatile as rice, pasta, couscous, bulgur wheat etc, and can be used in place of these other grains in many recipes.
So I’ve become a fan of quinoa, and it’s now incorporated into my grains rotation.
On the flip side, is this article from the New York Times about the effects of the popularity of quinoa on quinoa producing communities. It’s food for thought…
Hereâ€™s a simple yet tasty quinoa and lentil recipe that I came up with, itâ€™s very easy to make.
I often cook up a big batch and use it throughout the week.
I eat mine with everything from sauces, in salads, soups or just like that with a dollop of butter.
- 1 cup quinoa
- Â½ cup lentils
- 2 cups water (or more â€“ I donâ€™t like mine mushy)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Â½ tablespoon paper flakes
- Â½ tablespoon dried chives (or chopped fresh or your spice(s) of choice)
- Salt to taste
DIRECTIONS (Rice Cooker)
- Rinse quinoa thoroughly and put in rice cooker
- Rinse lentils, and add it and the other ingredients to the quinoa in the rice cooker.
- Stir and set to cook
- Fluff with fork when your rice cooker shuts off, and serve.
- Rinse quinoa and lentils, and combine with other ingredients in a saucepan
- Bring to boil on medium heat
- Lower heat and let it simmer until cooked
- Fluff with fork and serve.