We’re slowly springing out of the dreary days of winter.
Through the incessant rain and cold, there are gentle signs of spring’s emergence; this morning I noticed the tiny red buds of the magnolia tree across the street.
Our winter wasn’t as bad as it was in other places, it just felt like a long dark one; I’m ready for daffodils and cherry blossoms, and longer days as our clocks spring forward this weekend.
Meanwhile we’re enjoying the last bits of winter with the warm comforts of soup – that’s exactly what this mushroom tortellini and vegetable soup is, it’s a hearty comforting soup that warms the soul.
This type of soup usually starts with a text from my sister; she found dried mushroom filled tortellini at the Italian market thought of the classic Italian tortellini en brodo (in broth) but with chunks of broccoli, cauliflower and carrots, to add a bit of colour and vibrancy.
My sister and I try to get together and cook once a month, being a far better cook than I am, I always jump at the opportunity – she mostly does all the cooking and I get to reap the benefits – like this awesome soup.
We’ve been making soups like these all winter long, particularly for those gloomy rainy days, and there’s been quite a few of those days.
And the soups are always so tasty and filling and nutritious and warming. It literally melts the chills away.
And the best part is this soup is even better the next day and days after, just keep leftovers in the fridge and reheat before serving.
Mushroom Tortellini and Vegetable Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small leek, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tomatoes, pureed
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 cup cauliflower florets
- 1 cup dried mushroom tortellini
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley, plus more for garnish
- 4 cups vegetable broth (low sodium/no sodium)
- Salt and cayenne pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a soup pot or large saucepan over medium heat
- Add onions, leeks and garlic and sauté for 5 – 8 minutes, stirring often until onions are soft and translucent, and garlic is fragrant
- Add pureed tomatoes and cook for about 5 minutes
- Add vegetable broth, increase heat slightly and bring soup to a gentle boil
- Add tortellini and bring the soup back to a gentle boil
- Add carrots, broccoli and cauliflower and cook for 2 minutes
- Reduce heat and let soup simmer for about 5 – 6 minutes longer until tortellini is al dente
- Add salt and pepper to taste during the last minute or so, stir and check seasoning
- Gently stir in parsley and ladle soup into bowls and garnish with more parsley