I haven’t really been cooking (or keeping up with the blog) the way I want to, and this is partly because spring hasn’t been kind to me. I’ve been dealing with bouts of seasonal allergies all season long, actually. I started having breathing issues back in April and developed allergy induced asthma (my doctor tells me this is a real thing) which thankfully lasted for just a few days, but then I spent the month of May trying not to scratch my eyes out. So yeah, I haven’t made anything special in a while.
Luckily we almost always have a jar of hummus tucked away somewhere in the fridge begging to be used up, and I appreciate that so much during these stretches when I’m not cooking.
Hummus is versatile and we’ve tried it in a lot of things, but this rice, hummus, peas and lettuce combo has become an easy favourite.
You could swap rice for pasta in this recipe, or use quinoa, farro, barley or couscous; we recently tried it with riced cauliflower – it turned out spectacularly delicious. I use this brown basmati rice that I have to tell you about. I bought a kilo of the Tilda brand brown basmati at Waitrose last October, I took it on the train ride back to Paris and schlepped it on a plane all the way back home, only to realize that Superstore carries it. I call it my special London rice now.
Nutty brown rice flavour pairs well with the creamy rich savoury notes in hummus. I particularly like it with this smoky harissa number. I incorporated some torn lettuce for crunch but you can use cabbage or whatever leafy green you prefer (kale, spinach, Swiss chard, etc.). There are some fresh spring peas as well because it’s spring and rice, peas and hummus is plain delicious. Depending on how lucky you get at the market this season, you could toss in some broad beans as well.
This is all to say that things have been a little off lately, but this tasty and vibrant melange of rice, hummus and peas has been saving dinner, it’s effortless, cozy and delicious. Enjoy!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small shallot, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 head of small/medium iceberg lettuce, torn into 2-inch pieces (discard outer leaves)
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup prepared hummus
- 1 cup fresh English peas (or thawed frozen peas), cooked
- 3 - 4 cups cooked brown rice
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large saucepan
- Add shallot and fry until almost tender, about 2 – 3 minutes
- Add turmeric, pepper, lettuce and salt and stir-fry until it softens slightly
- Lower heat and stir in hummus and add peas and rice and toss gently to coat the strands of rice in hummus
- Removed from heat when rice is warmed through
- Serve salt and more freshly ground black pepper
- To cook fresh peas, boil in just enough water to submerge peas for about 2 – 3 minutes
[Tweet “Jazz up #dinner with this spring inspired rice and #hummus combo… it’s delicious and easy to make. #vegan and #glutenfree”]