This weekend’s weather has been a gentle reminder that summer isn’t going to last forever; We’ve had so many gorgeous sunny days that I’d almost forgotten what a dull grey day looked like.
I’m not ready for summer to be over, not quite yet – there are a few more wonderful sun-soaked days to enjoy and even more bountiful fruits, vegetables and herbs of the season to be had.
I think I may have eaten more tomatoes this summer than any other; we must have had a bumper crop year.
A few weekends ago while I was contemplating what to do with the case of tomatoes I’d gotten at the market, a kind friend gave me a large ‘bouquet’ of basil – hand-tied and wrapped in pretty paper like the most delicate of flowers.
I knew I’d make pesto, and maybe marinara sauce, but mostly lots and lots of pesto.
Then I thought of this roasted tomato and basil pesto I’d seen recently, I’d thought then that it was too similar to this tomato, basil and cashew sauce I made a few months back, but now that we’re in high summer and I can’t get enough of tomatoes, it’s just perfect! – this recipe is a celebration of the abundant vegetables and herbs of the season.
It’s not the prettiest looking pesto, I wish it looked more tomatoey, but the taste is phenomenal and that’s what matters the most.
I haven’t done a lot of cooking and baking lately, mostly due to other leisurely endeavours and a generous sister who loves to cook, but this pesto has been great to have around all summer long.
It’s quick tossed with pasta, roasted potatoes, or as a sandwich spread or with grilled vegetables… and dinner’s quick and a breeze with this pesto around!
Roasted Tomato and Basil Pesto
adapted from Oh She Glows
- 8 – 10 medium vine-ripened tomatoes, quartered
- 4 – 5 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup olive oil
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper, to roast with tomatoes
- 11/2 cup tightly-packed fresh basil
- 1/2 cup toasted cashews
- 1 teaspoon crushed pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Toss tomatoes and garlic, with a tablespoon olive oil, pinch of salt and pepper
- Spread on baking sheet in a single layer and roast for 35 – 45 minutes
- Using a food processor, add the roasted tomatoes, basil and cashews, and puree
- Drizzle in olive oil as the food processor is running
- Add the crushed pepper flakes and blend until all the ingredients are well combined, and the pesto is as smooth or as coarse as you want it
- Add salt and freshly ground pepper, and mix
- Taste and adjust seasoning as desired
- Use immediately, or store in a jar or airtight container covered in a thin layer of olive oil