We came upon a huge sale on organic blueberries at the grocery store last Friday; people were literally carting away giant cases of blueberries, and as tempting as it was I knew I couldn’t buy that much blueberries.
We’re weeks away from receiving our (yearly) box of blueberries from a local farm here, and we still have a freezer half full of frozen berries from last year that we’re slowly working through.
I got a pint to make fresh blueberry sauce for breakfast; however, I woke up the next morning to a giant box of blueberries on the kitchen counter anyway. My brother brought us blueberries!
So I guess we’ll be making blueberry desserts this week; blueberry ice cream, blueberry scones, muffins, cakes, pies and galettes… all week! Such a horrible horrible predicament!
Galettes are usually the first dessert I think of making with fresh berries because it’s super simple, and doesn’t require a lot of hard work, and they make the most charmingly beautiful and rustic looking pies, with a more crisp crust.
A warm slice of this blueberry lemon galette with a scoop of ice cream is marvelous… any excuse to eat ice cream, right?
The citrus flavour from the lemon juice and zest gives the pie a delicious refreshing kick.
Did I mention that it was quite easy to make? The crust can be made a day or two ahead and refrigerated, I used coconut oil in this recipe for a nice golden flaky buttery crust – and making the pie wholly plant-based.
A little tip for working with coconut oil dough, it gets very hard when chilled, you just have to let the dough warm up a little bit before rolling.
So there you have it; galettes a freeform rustic tart/pie, the first in the long line of blueberry desserts coming our way.
Or perhaps we’ll just keep making these, just because they’re that awesome, and good for breakfast too with a cup of coffee.
Blueberry Lemon Galette
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 4oz (1/2 cup) coconut oil, chilled & cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 – 3 tablespoon chilled water
- 3 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup turbinado sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Combine flour, coconut oil, salt, sugar and spices in a food processor
- Pulse until well incorporated
- Add apple cider vinegar
- Add water 1 tablespoon at a time until dough forms
- Alternatively, mix ingredients by hand, adding water once the dough has a crumbly texture
- Cover dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 30 minutes, or as long as 24 hours
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F. and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- In a large bowl, combine blueberries, cornstarch, lemon juice and zest, cinnamon, sugar and salt
- Toss gently to mix and coat blueberries
- Roll chilled dough out on a lightly floured surface to about 10 – 15 inches in diameter
- Transfer dough onto the baking sheet
- Pour the blueberry mixture in the center of the dough, leaving 1 – 2 inches border around the edge
- Working in a circle, gently fold the edge of the dough over the blueberries, creating pleated edges
- Brush the top of the edge with ‘egg wash’ (mix equal parts of oil, coconut milk and sugar and a pinch of salt) (optional)
- Sprinkle with turbinado sugar or some other coarse sugar
- Bake for 25 – 30 minutes, until pie is golden and the blueberries are bubbling
- Let cool, slice and serve with ice cream