Something wonderful happens whenever I toast coconut flakes; first off, it smells wonderfully toasty, like a tropical vacation. Toasting intensifies the flavour, caramelizes and brings out the sugars.
Coconut flakes adds pizazz to everything it touches; I use it as ice cream topping, cake garnish, in granola, riceâ€¦ it’s quite addictive on it’s own too, and in these toasted coconut muffins… they’re magical!
These muffins are full of coconut-ty goodness, it has coconut oil, coconut milk and of course, the amazing toasted coconut flakes.
Itâ€™s a coconut loverâ€™s dream, and if youâ€™re on the fence, youâ€™ll probably love it too since the flavour isnâ€™t overpowering.
Itâ€™s got that sweet essence of coconuts that goes well with a nice cup of tea or coffee, and make mornings so much better!
Toasted Coconut Muffins
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen
- 1/2 cup virgin coconut oil
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon ground flax + 3 tablespoons water (mix and set aside for about 5mins)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1/3 cup turbinado sugar
- 1 cup toasted shredded coconut, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and line muffin tin with about 10 â€“ 12 paper cups
- Melt coconut oil in a small saucepan or microwave, donâ€™t overheat
- Combine coconut oil, coconut milk, flax and vanilla extract in a medium bowl and whisk to mix
- In another bowl, add flours, baking powder, salt, sugar and 3/4 cup toasted coconut together and mix well
- Mix the flour mixture into wet mixture and stir until just combined
- Scoop the batter into prepared muffin cups (about 3/4 full each)
- Sprinkle the remaining (1/4 cup) toasted coconut on top of the muffin batter in baking cups
- Place in oven and bake for 20 â€“ 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean
- Transfer muffins onto a wire rack and let cool