I’m going on vacation in a week, and while I’m looking forward to getting away and the anticipated fun, I’m dreading the ‘getting there’ part. Time at the airport, the long flight and other contingencies make me a little wary.
This year I’ve decided to bring my own food for the trip; nothing fancy, perhaps a bento box filled with pakoras, hand pies and maybe some cookies, that’s if I can get it past airport security (fingers crossed).
For the cookies, I’m debating making these lovelies… almond flour cookies with almond butter and pistachios, I don’t make them often because they’re a little calorie dense, but I really, really love them!
I starting making them for my friend M‘s little one, who is sensitive to gluten; the little guy hates most of the packaged glutten-free stuff, but these, he just gobbles up. I guess it’s because these cookies are a bit different.
See, these cookies are naturally gluten free, no substitutions necessary; they’re made with almond flour, almond butter and sweetened with maple syrup. They’re nutty, crispy, decadent and addictive.
I use packaged ground almond for convenience, but I’m thinking it’s probably just as easy (and economical) to grind your own.
I tend to alternate between using chunky and smooth almond butter, I like them both, each is a little different.
The pistachios were an afterthought, the original recipe had chocolate chips, which are awesome, but I prefer the soft buttery taste of pistachios in these cookies, plus they make them wholesome.
I bake mine thin and crunchy sometimes for crumbling over coconut milk ice cream for dessert, it’s so very decadent!
They certainly feel like the kind of indulgence I’d appreciate in a dark cramped cabin thousands of feet in the air, halfway through the trip somewhere over Greenland…
Almond Flour Cookies with Almond Butter and Pistachios
Adapted from Peas and Thank You
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup almond butter or sunflower seed butter
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 “flax egg” (1 tablespoon ground flax + 3 tablespoon water)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup pistachios
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside
- To make flax egg, mix ground flax with water and set aside
- Add almond flour, baking soda and salt in a bowl
- In another bowl, cream almond butter, maple syrup, flax and vanilla until smooth
- Add almond flour mixture gradually until a dough forms
- Fold in the pistachios
- Using a tablespoon, scoop dough onto a cookie sheet, spacing cookies at least an inch apart
- Bake for 12 – 15, or until cookies are set and browned
- Allow cookies to cool on cookie sheet for a few minutes before transferring them onto a cooling rack