The temperature keeps rising, they say to expect some of the hottest days on record…
And this evening I went on a little sunset-watching date on English Bay.
Sunsets from English Bay never fails to captivate me, itâ€™s enchanting and makes me fall in love with the city all over again.
I brought jar cakes for dessert and it was perfect, we found a spot just where the rocks jut into the water, sat down, lingered over our desserts and watched the stunning sunset over the water.
The first time I made this chocolate jar cake with marshmallow topping I overfilled them (pictured) but they did so superbly well I knew I was on to something.
I pour the batter to fill half of the jars when I make them now, and I make them all the time.
It’s quick, delightful and portable â€“ perfect for the beach, picnics and other fun outings.
I didnâ€™t use marshmallows tonight, just a sprinkle of icing sugar.
I use this wacky cake recipe because I always get a rich, moist, spongy and chocolaty cake without the use of eggs, butter or milk.
Itâ€™s super easy to whip up, delicious and fun.
Chocolate Jar Cake with Marshmallow Topping
- 1 Â½ cups flour
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Â½ teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 4 â€“ 6 jumbo marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F., grease 4 – 6 wide-mouth canning jars (I used Bonne Maman jar) and set aside
- Combine flour, cocoa, sugar, baking soda and salt in a large mixing bowl
- Make three wells in the flour mixture
- Put the vegetable oil in one â€˜wellâ€™, the vanilla in another and the vinegar in the third
- Pour the coconut milk over the mixture and stir until moistened
- Fill the jars no more than halfway with the batter
- Place jars on a baking sheet, put in the oven and bake for 25 â€“ 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted
- Top each jar cake with a marshmallow and pop back into the oven for 3 â€“ 5 minutes until marshmallow is soft
- Remove from the oven then press down gently to cover the top of the cake
- Let cool and serve