Try as I may, I’m not always mindful of what I eat.
In my ideal world, my diet is solely plant-based; eat an abundance of varied fresh fruits and vegetables, drink tons of water, and eschew sugar and empty calories.
For extra health points, I’d do moderate exercise and sleep 8 hours every night; sounds easy enough and almost doable – sometimes the simplest things in life are the hardest to get right.
I love it when I can come up with nutritious meals, simple foods made special with simple every day ingredients.
Roasted potatoes, beets and kale; I wish I could eat food like this all the time.
It’s simple, fortifying, great for comfort, delicious and amazingly easy to make.
I use mini potatoes, which are cute and excellent for roasting.
The potatoes, along with beets and carrots are tossed in a dressing of olive oil, balsamic vinegar and fig butter – tangy with a subtle sweetness, with herbes de Provence and garlic powder.
I toss the kale and beans in towards the end, creating a nice substantial meal.
Roasted Potatoes, Beets and Kale
- Â¼ – Â½ lb mini Potatoes (or regular potatoes cut into bite size chunks)
- 1 – 2 beets, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 – 3 carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 Â½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fig butter
- 1 tablespoon herbes de Provence
- 1 teaspoon Garlic powder
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1 bunch kale, ribs removed and coarsely torn + 1 teaspoon olive oil + a pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons julienned sundried tomatoes
- Â½ cup of cooked pinto beans
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F., and oil a foil lined baking sheet
- Put potatoes, beets, and carrots in a bowl
- Whisk olive oil, balsamic vinegar, fig butter, herbes de Provence, garlic powder, and salt and pepper in a measuring cup or small bowl, mix well
- Pour dressing over vegetables, and mix to coat
- Place vegetables in a single layer on the baking sheet
- Roast for 20 – 25 minutes until potatoes are cooked through
- About 5 minutes before the vegetables are done, drizzle a bit of olive oil over kale and toss with a pinch of salt
- Arrange kale over vegetables, and roast with vegetables for the remainder of the cooking time
- Remove from oven, and mix in sundried tomatoes and pinto beans while still hot
- Serve immediately and enjoy!