I had a quiet weekend; one spent mostly indoors waiting for summer to make an appearance – at least that’s what I tell myself to ease the guilt of not wanting to go out in the rain.
It rained all day on Saturday, and I had to cancel a special outing I’d been looking forward to for weeks.
I unwilling got sucked into hours of watching movies, snacking, reading and napping.
But all was not lost, we had amaranth porridge for breakfast…
The amaranth grain, which has been around since ancient times, is a ‘nutrition powerhouse’.
These tiny grains contain protein (1 cup = 28.1 grams of protein), lysine, calcium and magnesium, and it’s gluten free.
Nutrients are fine and all, but the thing I love most about this porridge is how delectable and warming it is.
Sweetened with blueberry sauce, the tiny seeds have a slightly crunchy texture, the porridge is creamy, and the flavours are just wonderful.
It’s almost like dessert for breakfast, the cure for dreary Saturdays!
Amaranth Porridge with Blueberry Sauce
Adapted from Naturally Ella
- ½ cup amaranth
- 1 cup coconut milk, or more (any type milk will work too)
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon juice of lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 – 2 tablespoons water
- Soak amaranth for at least 8 hours (optional, but worth it)
- Drain and rinse amaranth, combine with milk, nutmeg and salt in a saucepan or pot over medium heat
- Stir and bring to boil, then reduce to simmer for a few minutes, stir frequently to prevent sticking and burning
- Cook on lowest heat for about 15 minutes, check the liquid and add more milk if needed.
- Remove from heat and let sit for 10 more minutes to thicken amaranth
- In a smaller saucepan, add blueberries, maple syrup, lemon juice, vanilla and water
- Cook over medium heat and bring to a gentle boil
- Lower heat; let it simmer for 2 -3 minutes, until the liquid is reduced and syrupy
- Serve amaranth porridge topped blueberry sauce.
- Drizzle with more coconut milk and maple syrup (if desired), and/or top with nuts and dried fruits