Sour Cherry Crumble
And another weekend is upon us…
I’ve been thinking a lot about my next vacation and perhaps it’s the weather, but right now…
I want nothing more than to lie under a giant umbrella in a sunny locale and just read for hours on end.
I did a bit of reading over the weekend; actually, I read a whole lot.
This led me to two realizations; reading is time consuming, and I very much miss reading.
I read way, way into the night until dawn. I miss that!
I used to love reading through the night when I was younger and could subsist on a few hours of sleep.
Once, when I was about twelve, I got @adjoa’s (borrowed) copy of Judith Krantz’s Scruples and stayed in bed all weekend reading it.
I read ferociously through the night till the sun came up, my mom was convinced I was sick.
The thing with embarking on a read-a-thon is that pesky little things like hunger and the urge to pee sometimes gets in the way…
It always helps to have food around…
I made sour cherry crumble last weekend when I finally came up for air; it’s perfect for weekends dedicated to reading.
It’s so good and dreamy… I never get tired of it; the first time I made it, it’s all I ate that day.
I usually use a jar of morello cherries (from Trader Joe’s) and toss in an apple for bulk and crunch.
The topping usually varies, but I prefer oats, crushed pistachios and cranberries with a bit of coconut oil.
I made enough to last the weekend, and ate it by the bowlful between reading.
Sometimes with milk or a scope of ice cream, or custard, or yoghurt… it’s really good with yoghurt
Sour Cherry Crumble
- 1 jar of Trader Joe’s Morello Cherries, drained (or about 340g of pitted sour cherries)
- 1 tart apple, chopped
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (I used Bird’s custard powder)
- A splash of lemon juice
- ½ cup of oats
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour (optional)
- ¼ cup of crushed pistachios
- A handful of dried cranberries
- 3 tablespoons of turbinado sugar (or less)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoons of ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons of cold coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and slightly oil a baking or pie dish (I used a small 8-inch cake pan)
- In a medium bowl, combine cherries, apples, 2 tablespoons of sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice
- Mix and pour into the baking dish
- In a smaller bowl, add oats, flour, pistachios, and cranberries with 3 tablespoons of sugar, salt and ground cinnamon
- Add and rub in coconut oil until the mixture is crumbly
- Sprinkle over cherries and bake for about 40 – 45, or until topping is golden brown.