I woke up this morning, looked outside my window and missed summer – for a brief moment, I longed for strawberries and daylight beyond 4pm.
I saw some pale-looking strawberries at the store this afternoon, and was almost tempted to get a few to make strawberry icebox cake.
I wish we had an abundance of strawberries in the winter.
I’m bringing dessert for a dinner on Christmas Eve and I still haven’t figured what I’m going to make.
The strawberry icebox cake still looks promising, except I feel it’s a summer dessert.
The last time I made icebox cake was back in August, and I used digestive biscuits that time.
Strawberry Icebox Cake II
To make whipped coconut cream, refrigerate a can of coconut milk overnight, or freeze for the few hours.
This is so that the cream (coconut fat) would rise to the top and harden.
Open the chilled can of coconut and scoop out the fat leaving behind the watery liquid.
Combine the coconut with 1/3 cup of icing sugar and a teaspoon of vanilla, whip until light and fluffy.
- 2 pounds fresh strawberries, washed
- 3 1/4 whipped coconut cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 400g pack of Digestive biscuits
- Slice strawberries, save some nice ones for garnishing and set aside
- Grab a baking pan or a nice serving pan
- Spread dollop of whipped coconut cream on the bottom of the pan
- Start by layering with digestives, then more whipped cream and then add strawberries.
- Repeat until you run out of strawberries, the last layer is usually whipped coconut cream, then comes the garnish.
- Garnish with your nice looking strawberries, or drizzle some melted chocolate over, or whatever pretty garnish you dream up.