I buy most of the fruit my household consumes, and although we profess to love fruit and I buy our fruit based on this assumption; the truth is we donâ€™t eat as much fruit as we should.
This tweet made me laugh, because my lifetime ratio of bananas purchased to bananas consumed is about 10 to 1.
Weâ€™re pretty good with seasonal and exotic fruits; itâ€™s the year-round â€˜boringâ€™ fruits like apples and bananas we tend to slack on.
Finding ways to use up the fruits before their prime has become my challenge, admittedly itâ€™s not a loathsome challenge. Iâ€™m always pleased to find recipes that use tons of apples, like this apple cake does.
I wasnâ€™t too keen on this cake when I first saw the recipe, but Iâ€™m open minded enough to try a recipe once â€“ as long as it isnâ€™t time consuming or calls for ingredients I donâ€™t like/eat.
Iâ€™ll tell you this. Iâ€™m glad I gave this cake a try; itâ€™s a superb cake, moist and dense with subtle flavours.
I loved it so much I had it for dessert and then for breakfast the next morning.
- 4 Â½ to 5 cups diced apples
- 1 Â½ cups sugar
- Â½ cup salad oil
- 2 tablespoon ground flaxseed meal + 6 tablespoons water (or 2 eggs)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Â½ extra apple, cored-quartered thinly sliced (optional)
- whole or slivered almonds to decorate (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350Â° F, grease a medium baking pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl sift together the flour, and the rest of the dry ingredients.
- Mix in chopped apples and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine wet ingredients and mix until well incorporated.
- Fold the flour mixture into the wet ingredients, gently mixing the ingredients just until combined.
- Pour the batter into the baking pan, making sure it is evenly distributed.
- Arrange the thin apple slices on top of the cake and decorate with almonds.
- Bake in an oven for 40 minutes or until cooked all the way through.
- Allow to cool completely before serving