I woke up early this morning; 6AM (on a Sunday, no doubt!) to go and help with set-up at the Telus Walk to Cure Diabetes in Stanley Park.
There’s a sweet gloriousness to waking up early on a weekend, you have the whole day ahead of you – and it’s all yours… to do with exactly as you wish.
I almost never wake up early on weekends; I’m one of those people who believe that the luxury is in sleeping in.
And yet whenever I’m up early on weekends I get so much done, I tell myself I should be doing this often.
A fortifying and nutritious breakfast is essential for early weekend mornings, and any other morning, as a matter of fact.
There’s time to put a little effort into it; but this bulgur porridge is as easy as it comes.
Convenient and easy to make, no fuss, a quick good breakfast and you’re on your way.
INGREDIENTS (Adapted from marthastewart.com)
- 2 cups coconut milk (or your favourite kind of milk), plus more for serving
- 1/2 cup medium-grind bulgur
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 to 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Sliced fresh strawberries, for serving (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, combine milk, bulgur, and salt and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until bulgur is tender and mixture is the consistency of oatmeal, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Spoon into a bowl; sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Serve porridge warm with strawberries, if using, and milk to taste.
Waking up early on weekends has its advantages; you could burrow back under the covers after breakfast, read your favourite magazine or take a long nap.
Or you could catch the noon ferry to the Sunshine Coast, have a late lunch in Roberts Creek and take a long scenic drive down Highway 101 to the end and back.
Take one of the evening ferries back into the city, and you have just enough time to relax and get ready for the long week ahead.
Guess what I did today?